One of today’s most internationally recognized voices for quality education and women’s empowerment, Dr. Tererai Trent is a symbol of hope for children around the world. Growing up in a cattle-herding family in rural Zimbabwe, Tererai always dreamed of getting an education, but limited by traditional Zimbabwean culture, she was married with three children by the time she was eighteen. Undeterred by traditional roles and cultural norms, Tererai determinedly taught herself to read and write from her brother’s schoolbooks. From those humble beginnings, Tererai has become a world-renowned scholar, humanitarian, motivational speaker, educator, mentor, and inspiration, leading the global charge in the fight for quality education for all children.
So what makes Dr. Trent Oprah Winfrey’s “all time favorite guest?” While still a young mother without a high school diploma, Tererai decided to take control of her destiny. She wrote down her dreams of going to America for higher education, sealed them in a tin can and buried them under a rock, thereby redesigning the blueprint for her life. Tererai’s steadfast determination, hard work and belief in her dreams would eventually earn her multiple degrees. Today, Dr. Trent is a senior consultant with more than 18 years of international experience in program and policy evaluation, and has worked on five continents for major humanitarian organizations. With a desire to give back to her community and the firm belief that education is the pathway out of poverty, Dr. Trent founded Tinogona Foundation, a non-profit organization that works to build, repair and renovate schools in rural Zimbabwe. Through strategic partnerships with Oprah Winfrey and Save the Children, Tinogona is helping build nine schools, improving the lives for nearly 4,000 children.
Using her prominent global platform in conjunction with world leaders and international audiences, Tererai tirelessly speaks on behalf of children without an access to education. On top of sharing her remarkable story, Trent appeals to international businesses to invest in equal access to education. She empowers women to be leaders in their communities, imparting the lessons she learned along her incredible journey. A warm and engaging speaker, Dr. Tererai Trent lights up audiences with her enduring spirit and strength, and leaves everyone motivated to fight not only for their own dreams, but also for the dreams of others.
- 2013- Present: Adjunct Faculty, Monitoring and Evaluation in Global Health at Drexel University
- 2013: Named one of 26 Women in the Power List of O, the Oprah Magazine SA
- 2011-2013: Fellow at University of California, San Francisco
- 2011-2013: Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology) from UC Berkeley
- 2010: Oprah Winfrey named Dr. Trent her “favorite guest of all time”
- 2009- Present: Founder of the Tinogona Foundation
- 2007- 2009: Doctorate in Interdisciplinary Evaluation from Western Michigan University
- 2002-2010: Deputy Director, Monitoring & Evaluation at Heifer International
- 1998- 2002: Bachelors in Agricultural Education and Masters in Plant Pathology from Oklahoma State University